Saturday, February 7, 2009

A Light Bulb Moment!




I was shuffling through some old Ensigns that I had and I came across this article written by M. Russel Ballard entitled, "Daughters of God". It caught my eye because for many reasons at this particular time in my life, I feel as though it is a time of great transition and discovery and I think just knowing that I am a Daughter of God puts it all in great perspective for me.


Elder Ballard asks the question; "What can you do, as a young mother, to reduce the pressure and enjoy your family more?" The key word here for me was "enjoy."

He goes on to say:

"First, recognize that the joy of motherhood comes in moments." There will be hard times and frustrating times. But amid the challenges, there are shining moments of joy and satisfaction.
Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. … I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” (Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11).

I love how he pointed out that the joy comes in "moments" when I looked the word moment up in the dictionary it said:

Outstanding significance or value; importance: a discovery of great moment.

I never thought of the word moment in this way, but when I think of moments in time with my kids they are very "Significant" and I do "value" these times when my kids.

When reading this article I thought about my kids and how they are still young and I still have plenty of time to "live in the moment" with them. Although there are already "moments" that I miss. Like having my Braiden as a toddler look up at me with arms stretched out grunting for me to hold him, or bathing my kids, or tripping over toddler toys strewn all over the floor and yes even changing a diaper. (surprise) And no I am not baby hungry nor am I contemplating the idea. ha ha

I decided that if I miss those times which were just a few short years ago then what am I going to miss that they are doing right now , that I really need to enjoy. So I thought about it.

I love the sound of my kids in my home. I love hearing the stomping of there feet up and down the stairs. I love hearing Briana playing the piano while Braiden is playing video games and Brooke is watching cartoons all at the same time. I love when their friends come over and raid our fridge for capri suns and otter pops. While this might drive most people nuts ( and on some days it even drives me nuts) I realize that these are the Moments with my kids that I love and someday I will miss.

So as I was constantly striving for structure I realized that there is a time and place for structure just like there is a time and place to enjoy the moments with my kids and that's what I love. This is as Oprah says it my "light bulb" moment. This is what is important to me. To be happy and "in the moment" with my husband and my kids and those I love and trust the most. And most importantly remembering along the way that I am a daughter of God.

1 comment:

The Kay Family said...

Amen sistah!!! I agree with everything you said. It'll all be over soon and we'll want it back.