Sunday, November 9, 2008

"Let your light so shine before men"


The following message was written by my Sister Tricia, it was so well written I had to share her thoughts with everyone!.

Stand firmly for what you know to be right. In standing for the right, we must not be fearful of the consequences (Gordan B. Hinkley)

I thought allot about this past week with the controversy on proposition 8. I have watched as thousands of protesters have lined the streets in Salt Lake City surrounding Temple Square. I have watched thousands that have surrounded the Los Angeles Temple in protest. I have felt so sad! I thought to myself I didn't vote for President Obama but the people have spoken(its the democratic process)I will support him and definitely give him a chance, after all this is our country in which we live. This morning I woke up early, 5:30 to be exact and turned on the early news for just a few moments and there again they reporting the backlash against the Mormon Church. It showed Salt Lake City and the Temple and all those yelling profanities and throwing things...I was kind of shocked but them the news show zoomed out and there was the Beautiful Temple. Its lights glowing in the darkness. I felt a chill come over me and immediately in my mind I recalled the words

“A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. “Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. “Let your light so shine before men,I know that is exactly what we are doing. this is The Lords work, not President Monsons, not the leaders, its The Lords work!!!! The church is taking a standing of that which is perverse....It will always shine no matter how much opposition is around it!!!!!

This has always been my favorite Temple. This is the temple Otis and I where married in. It has saddened my to see the turmoil surrounding it. When I read this message from my sister it gave me peace in knowing that the Temple still stands strong and is more beautiful than ever. The Temple will always shine, just as each of us can continue to shine in a darkening world.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You sure do know your scriptures :) I know Mom says I have a wise soul but you probably helped me receive my wisdom in the pre-existence :)

Love ya

Nik

Nikki said...

You have always been a great spiritual role model. Love ya Girl

Michelle said...

So true Carla! Thanks! We each have an individual role to play, don't we! We can't borrow oil from someone else. We must know what we believe, make a stand and trust that it is His Work! Love you!